Monkey Island, Embera Village & Lake Gatun
Join us on this unforgettable experience visiting the famous monkey island and a traditional Embera Indian village, only 1 hour from Panama City. This will be an exciting day off the beaten path, far from civilization and surrounded by beautiful landscapes. Animal lovers will be delighted to witness close encounters with monkeys, while being immersed in the lush rainforest wildlife. Over 900 species of plant species have been identified. There are 114 mammal species, including Baird’s tapirs, whitetail deer, Geoffroy’s spider monkeys, and all five species of big cats. Of the 396 species of birds, there are stripe-cheeked woodpeckers, red-legged honeycreepers, violet-capped hummingbirds, and even harpy eagles. Additionally, there are 96 reptile species, 79 amphibian species, and 59 species of freshwater fish.
On this tour you also will meet the Embera Indians and learn about their rich culture. Marvel at their mesmerizing music, handcrafts and happy yet simple village life.
At 8am your friendly, bi-lingual guide will pick you up from your Panama City hotel. Sit back and relax in our comfortable, air-conditioned while gazing at the various sites we will pass on our one hour drive to our tour starting point in the Chagres National Park. While only 1 hour away from Panama City, you will find yourself in the middle of the jungle on the banks of the Chagres river. Here you will meet the Embera Indian tribe that has managed to reject our modern, technological ways of life and maintained its simple traditions.
At the port of the Chagres River, an Embera Indian will take you and your guide in a traditional boat called piragua on a 20 minute ride upstream to an authentic Embera community, situated in the middle of the rainforest. The locals will warmly greet you with warm smiles. An Embera family will prepare a delicious, fresh lunch for you, followed by fresh, local fruits. Enjoy the innocent, curious glances of the Embera kids playing nearby, while our guide shares his knowledge with you, learning about the community history, art, music and dance. We can also take a short hike along the trails through the magnificent rainforest where you can discover and learn about the endemic flora and its medicinal uses.
- Private Tour
- Price - $99 per person
- Duration - 5 hours
- Start time - 8:00am - daily
- Pick-up and drop off at your Panama City lodging
- Well-maintained, air-conditioned car
- Bi-lingual guides (English/Spanish)
- Private Tour of Monkey island, Embera village and Lake Gatun
- Water Bottles
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Hotel pickup and drop-off outside of Panama City (Surcharge applies for hotels outside of Panama City)
WHAT TO BRING
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Insect Repellent
- Don't forget to bring your smiles :)
PAYMENT & CANCELATION POLICY
- To make a reservations, payments need to be received at least 4 business days before the tour start date.
- Please send cancellation requests to email@example.com minimum 2 days before tour start date.
- No cancelations within 2 days before tour start date.
- We reserve the right to cancel a pre-paid tour due to weather or unsafe conditions, in which case we will re-schedule your tour or refund your payment.
We are sorry, there are no reviews yet for this tour.